Monday, November 8, 2021

Marissa Cohen Blog Post Two - Supreme Court

The History & Workings of the United States Supreme Court

(google images)


The Supreme Court and its inner workings date back to 1789 when it was first created. It is an integral part of the United States, the country's history, and today's modernized society. The Supreme Court is described as being "the highest federal court in the country and the head of the judicial branch of government," according to (history.com). Now, the Supreme Court is prevalent in its use of analyzation of documents and the time frame it takes for its 9 justices to sort through varies cases.


(google images)


When learning more about the Supreme Court through the use of the three resources provided by Professor Smith, I didn't realize the specific amount of people that were present as justices in the Supreme Court. 9 justices don't seem like much, and therefore I assumed the Supreme Court was made up of more than that number. I also was never aware that the Supreme Court justices posed for a photo every time a new justice joined the Court. Something that was interesting to me was how little Supreme Court justices there have been in the entirety of the Supreme Courts existence. The numbers add up to the current total of 115 justices, which makes sense when really thinking about the 9 justices that always have to be in office. Something that caught my eye was how long a Supreme Court member served - which was 16 years, or sometimes more. I find all of these Supreme Court facts interesting because I was never taught the specifics of the court or its inner workings.


(google images)

The most important take away about the Supreme Court is how important it really is and why it still exists in today's hectic world. The fact that the Supreme Court and its justices still use the Constitution from when it first was finalized is something to be conscious of. I think it's important to note how many justices there have been and how they have impacted human history in the United States of America. I also think the responsibilities of the Supreme Court and how it runs shapes its intents and the future of the court in America.


(google images)


The most surprising thing I learned was why there are 9 Supreme Court justices, as well as the cases the Supreme Court addressed. The latter surprised me because from the establishment of the Supreme Court until now I thought there would have been more cases addressed than there have been. 


(google images)


The video changed the way I thought about the Supreme Court because I never realized how many parts made up the Supreme Court and the judicial system as a whole. I never thought about the inner workings of the Supreme Court or cases that have been addressed to them. I think the Supreme Court is still important today and its use will be beneficial now and in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment